Here at Anything But Cute we love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional artists, and you just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer.
Make sure to put 'newbie' after your name in the linky so we know who you are.
(new refers to 'new to mixed media' NOT 'new to our challenge')
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Feature Artist - The Birds and the Bees - Welcome Miranda

Hello Everyone!

Pamellia here and I am so excited to introduce you to our Feature Artist for June. She was the winner of Samra's Earth Day challenge in April. Welcome Miranda Burhenne of Miranda's Art Journey!! 

Miranda is a fantastic mixed media artist! She has so many styles and excels at every one of them! She is incredible with hand drawn art but she also does journal pages, ATCs, canvas art, steampunk, fantasy... you name it and Miranda does it with style! 

Miranda has put together this wonderful project for Niki's current challenge THE BIRDS AND THE BEES. Feast your eyes on this beauty!!

***
Hi there! I hope you are having a great time with this months theme The Birds and the bees. I am so proud to be the eature Artist at Anything But Cute.


My name is Miranda Burhenne,I live in the Netherlands and I'm 35. My name is also the url to go to my blog. But along the way I changed the tittle into Miranda's Art Journey,because it is still a journey through Art for me at this point.

I have always loved crafting ,making cards for birthdays , scrapbook the baby albums for my three daughters until i discovered Art Journaling and Mixed Media just at the right time for me. Because i totally lost my craft mojo. Wauw this Mixed Media world is so exciting and I am trying new things every time and enjoying all the lovely work and tutorials I come across.

For this Journal page I was already dreaming of a vacation with Tropical birds, the sun on our skin and of course a mojito!!

The Flamingo gives me that Tropical feeling I need but I wanted it to be in my favourite steampunk style. So I draw the flamingo from a picture I saw on Pinterest and gave it a little steampunk make over


For the beach I mixed some
Finnabair - Texture Paste- White Sand
Amsterdam acrylic paint- sienna natural

I wanted to use my Gelli Plate and decided not to use the first print but the ghost print so you can see my beautiful scrappaper from kaisercraft through it. I tryed to print the birds onto the background with the gelli Plate but it didn't work for me. Stamped the birds again onto my page with Archival ink
Background colours
Americana/Deco Art:
Yellow Green
French Mauve
Wisteria
Carousel Pink

Then painted some gears pink,Crazy color for gears, but I just love it and embossed with Tim Holtz- Distress powder- Black soot. You can see a little bit of Pink shining through.


Mixed Americana Yellow green with liquitex and put it trough a stencil this gives a lovely texture and gloss or maybe this colour represents  the mojito i was thinking about.

I coloured the flamingo with copics and polychromos, put a eyelet through his eye and some brads. Finally i wrote my quote on the page from where it all started.

Life takes you down many paths
But my Favourite ones lead to a Tropical Beach




gr Miranda Burhenne

***
WOW ...what a gorgeous creation!! Thank you so much Miranda for inspiring us with your wonderful art! It's been an honour to have you here with us today!

I hope you all are just as inspired as I am, and will join in with us for Niki's challenge

You have until the 4th of July to play - and you'll find all the challenge details as well as lots of inspiration from the brilliant Anything But Cute design team by clicking on the challenge link.

Happy Crafting
Pamellia :)

9 comments:

  1. Miranda, this sure does bring to mind a hot sunny day in the tropics! I love your flamingo and those pink gears! Great job on this and thank you so much for being our Feature Artist this month! We appreciate your talent and all the hard work that went into this beautiful mixed media art! Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Miranda, this is so beautiful!! I love the steampunk flamingo, what an incredible bird choice! It is wonderful to watch your process as you put this beauty together! Thank you so much for spending the day with us today, it's an honour to have you as our Feature Artist! A truly inspiring project! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miranda, what a treat to have you share your infinite creativity with us today! I love your flamingo makeover and fun color palette for this project. Your mix of MM & drawing inspire me tremendously. Big hugs to you and thanks the amazing details. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous way to decorate the flamingo - I just love how you steampunked it but also managed to keep a wonderful beach feel too! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us here at Anything But Cute! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pleasure to see such a gorgeous piece of art you shared with us today, Miranda! I love your bright colors and that flamingo is fabulous! Those pink gears are simply amazing! What a beautiful piece of art! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, Miranda, this is absolutely stunning!! Wow!! I love your steampunk flamingo!! It looks amazing!! The beachy feel is fabulous!! What a gorgeous work of art this is!! I love it!! Thank you for the inspiration!! Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun! BODACIOUSLY INTRIGUING and UNIQUE flamingo. SUPER incredible guest design inspiration. Thanks bunches Miranda! j.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Steampunk Pink Flamingo! Hot diggity and holy pepperoni! This is a wonderous design with so many tidbits to take in. You totally captured This challenge theme with that awesome sauce bird. Very clever and totally original idea! Fantabulous gears, drawing and the pinks go well with the Steampunk. Wowzers! So glad you were able to join us as the Featured Artist this month Miranda! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant work with a fantastic creation, really clever and interesting!!! Beautiful pages as result... Well done Miranda, and thank you for your great how-to and the lovely pics!! Hugs, Coco xx

    ReplyDelete